Thursday, January 20, 2011

What is Ayurveda and Why is it important to me?

Ayurveda is a 5,000-year old medical system from India. It is a holistic medical system which is all-inclusive. Ayurveda respects the elements in nature and healing comes from lifestyle, nutrition, detoxification, yoga, meditation, herbal medicine and if needed surgery. The focus of Ayurveda is on prevention by keeping the body, mind and spirit in balance. According to Ayurveda, when imbalances occur and are maintained over a period of time, disease has the opportunity to manifest. Once an Ayurvedic patient learns how to detect imbalances, he can correct them through lifestyle changes before disease has a chance to grow.
The all-inclusive nature of Ayurveda means the Hippocratic oath that doctors must take upon graduating; “First do no harm.” In Ayurveda, we gently urge the body back to health. However, if methods of allopathic or Western medicine are needed, Ayurveda recognizes the complementary nature of these methods.
My discovery of Ayurveda came as a serendipitous event. When I was 28 years old, I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer. My daughter was 5 at the time and my son was 18 months. Just hearing the word “cancer” devastated my life. After, two surgeries and radioactive iodine treatment, I was left without a thyroid, on synthetic thyroid medication and finding myself with a host of symptoms I had never experienced before. I had anxiety, panic attacks and depression. Convinced that these symptoms were directly linked to a thyroid imbalance, I saw doctor after doctor who assured me that the symptoms were “all in my head” since my thyroid levels all come back normal. Finally I found a doctor who believed me and he changed my medication to natural porcine thyroid hormone and put me on supplements. In addition, his nurse practitioner, a saint in my eyes, did Gestalt therapy and meditation with me. Little by little I was returning to normal.
On my road to recovery, a friend gave me a copy of Dr. Chopra’s Perfect Health to read. It is a description of Ayurveda and Ayurvedic lifestyle and it made perfect sense to me. Once I began implementing principles from Ayurvedic lifestyle, I began to feel better. Between the time of my surgery and my discovery of Ayurveda, three years had gone by, three years of my youth wasted on feeling horrible most of the time. I knew that if I were to feel good for the rest of my life, I was going to have to heal my body, mind, soul and spirit in every aspect and stick with it.
My journey into teaching Ayurveda came in about 2006 when my father-in-law at the time was diagnosed with failing kidneys. His toxicity level was so poor that the doctors told him in under 6 months he would be on dialysis. My husband came to me begging me to talk with his father about Ayurveda and to create a plan for him. I reluctantly did. I was reluctant because I did not feel I was an expert in any way. Nevertheless, I firmly believed and still do the power in lifestyle changes. So I talked with him and created a plan. The results were amazing. Within a month, he lost 35 pounds, was walking daily and his kidney levels improved.
I thought of how many people suffer on a daily basis because allopathic medicine does not have all the answers. I thus began my quest to help others heal with Ayurveda. It became not only a personal quest but my dharma or purpose in life. To end suffering is to enjoy life. And in enjoying life, each and every one of us can live our dharma. In living our dharma, we help others and bring joy to the world.

Michelle Fondin is the author of The Wheel of Healing with Ayurveda: An Easy Guide to a Healthy Lifestyle  and Help! I Think My Loved One Is an Alcoholic: A Survival Guide for Lovers, Family, & Friends. 


1 comment:

  1. Good discussion, From your discussion we gain many important and helpful information about hypothyroidism or thyroid treatment. I am also a patient of thyroid and I know the pain and problem of thyroid disease.
    thyroid medicine

    ReplyDelete